Wednesday 29 August 2012

Waxing 101.5: Bikini Waxing Styles


One of my favourite things to do, ever, unless someone didn't know what they wanted, and then made a decision, changed their mind when it was too late, and left my treatment room unhappy. Other than that I feel like I'm contributing to liberation, by waxing pubes. Judge me all you want. I know I am very good at bikini waxing. I've caused no harm to any of my clients, and I made sure that they were comfortable and that I understood their expectations clearly before starting the treatment.

There are many different styles and names for these styles. In South Africa, there are 4 main "terms" you'll find on treatment menus: Bikini, G-String, Brazilian and Hollywood. They may go by other names in smaller salons and other places around the world but I'll explain each one as best I can.

I thought I'd find some pretty cool animated pics, but there weren't many, so I decided to go with "real people" pics instead. Thought I'd be partially scarred from "Google-imaging" but I think I'm okay. Sigh.

The Bikini wax: (aka The American and Bikini Line wax. Yeah, I don't know, I didn't come up with this shiz)
Removal of all pubic hair that is exposed when you're wearing knickers (bikini-cut) or your swimsuit bottoms. Not everyone wears that style of knickers, so...it's removing the hairs on your upper, inner thighs, most commonly ending at the crease where your thighs meet your labia majora/majus, and sometimes a little from the top, too.
wikipedia.org
It's very neat. If you don't want to wax any further, but think your hair's a bit long, you can always trim it. You could also ask your therapist, but then know that you'll most probably have to remove your underwear.

The extended bikini and G-string wax: Basically removing all the hair that is visible while wearing a G-string. This includes the outer parts of the labia majora. G-string wax very often includes the peri-anal area (your perineum), and sometimes the inside of your butt cheeks. This depends on what you want and on your therapist. Some therapists don't do all this unless you ask, and some just don't. Tell them what you want before you get undressed, so that you're both clear and understood. This could also be referred to as a Brazilian, especially if the hair left makes a rectangular shape down your labia majora.
designerpubes.blogspot.com.
This is done so untidily. I'd never let anyone walk out of my treatment room with a wax like that. In all fairness, this may be regrowth, but still, how not-straight is that strip?!
This (pic above) is a form of the Brazilian wax. Aka the French wax, Landing strip, Californian, Mohican or Playboy.
A brazilian wax may vary from the above pic, to the below pic. Again, you need to be specific about what you want.

zh.wikipedia.org
Although the hair on the labia can be left untouched, as in a G-string wax, Brazilian waxes more commonly mean that your labia majora, peri-anal area, as well as your butt gets waxed. So everything gets removed except for a strip on your mons pubis. This strip may vary in width and length depending on your preferences. You may indicate this to your therapist in "finger spaces" if you so wish. If you do not wish to have your ass waxed, let your therapist know, but I doubt you'll pay any less.

The Triangle wax. Aka The Bermuda triangle or Martini glass: Variation on the Brazilian but instead of a straight line, there's a little triangle that ends at/just before the clitoral hood.
Triangle wax. hairremovaltruth.com
The European or Postage stamp Aka Hitler's moustache (I give up): Another variation on the Brazilian, but this time there's just a patch of hair just above the clitoral hood.
bodywaxingkits.com
The Moustache (I wish I was joking)
Another variation on the Brazilian, except the hair is in a horizontal rectangular shape just above the clitoral hood.

The Heart: The main tuft on the mons pubis is shaped like a heart. It may also be dyed pink. I've never had to do this, I've never been asked. Not sure if I'm offended or happy that I didn't have to spend a lot of time shaping someone's pubic hair into the shape of a heart.
bodywaxingkits.com
The Hollywood (AKA The Sphinx or Bare Wax, sometimes called a "Full Brazilian"): All your hair is removed, including your backside, unless you don't want to. Your vaginal area will be naked, and hopefully smooth.

wikipedia

Don't be afraid to discuss this with your therapist. I know many people are more conservative and modest, but if it makes you feel any better, therapists have seen it all. Everything. And not only have they seen it, they've waxed it. I did most of the bikini waxing when I worked at a spa, and some Saturdays it was all I did from 09:00 - 15:00. Your therapist is not really judging your anatomy (mons pubis/vagina). Every one is different, yet all the same. I don't know, it seemed okay to say "out loud".

If you are comfortable removing your underwear, it will be much easier for your therapist, and will go much faster, as there are no obstructions. Your therapist should always cover the area he/she is not working on with a towel, or at least offer you a towel or robe. You need not remove your underwear for a bikini, but it will help for every other style, as it's easier to judge if both sides are even. It is entirely up to you, though.

If you're interested to see other weird and crazy styles, you can check out designerpubes.blogspot.com.



Miss B

Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Bikini wax is less pain full than brazilian in which you get all your hair removed from front and rear.Its a good article that gives you a clear idea of all the bikini styles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone has a preference. If you want to try full brazilian, you could take a painkiller 30 - 60 minutes before your appointment. It makes a difference, and the "pain" is more tolerable. Also, you could make your appointment for later in the day. Your pain threshold is higher at about (and/or after)3pm. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete