Tuesday 11 February 2014

#BeautyTipTuesday: Contouring/Shading

Source: kimkardashian.celebuzz.com

Contouring is very popular, and a daily must for some, and I see it often. I don't want to SEE it, though. I wish I didn't, but alas. The point of contouring is to give parts of the face more depth, "fake cheekbones" (we all have cheekbones, just to be clear) and make the face, or part thereof, appear slimmer. It's all well and good until someone uses the wrong shade and doesn't blend enough.



The most popular product used to contour is, no doubt, bronzer. Bronzers are nice, and often it makes the world of difference to clients when I use it on them. The thing with bronzer, though, is that most of them contain golden, orange, yellow and bronze (duh) tones; when layered incorrectly this looks all kinds of wrong, most notably muddy and dirty. "Vuil" is more accurate.

It's always better to start of lightly, and then layer. I know many people advise on using a shade that's about 2 shades darker than your complexion, but I've used shades way darker than my complexion (and the complexions of clients), I'm just very light-handed. Good tools help, too.

The image of Kim K, above, is a great guide in where to contour. But you should also check out Maskcara's guides to highlighting and contouring specifically for your face shape. She's super awesome!

Another GREAT tip I've come to learn, is to use a grey-toned powder for contouring. Think about it: you're trying to create "shadows" on your face, especially for the cheek contour. Have you ever seen a shadow that's orange-y? I haven't. For those who prefer contouring with liquid products, it's harder to find grey-toned liquid products, because not many people (if any) have grey toned skin (or maybe I just haven't come across many people with natural grey tones in their skin), but you can use your regular liquid contouring products, and go lightly over it with a grey-toned powder product for added definition and staying power.

And where do you find these grey-toned products?

I love NYX Powder Blush in Taupe (matte). Available in Clicks stores.

source: makeupgeek.com

Truth is, you don't HAVE TO use bronzing powder to contour, you could use any matte or semi-matte powder product whether it be a blush, eyeshadow, powder foundation or a finishing powder. Always remember to be light-handed and layer. And then blend x100. And then blend once more.

And maybe once more before you leave the house. ;-)

Do you have any tips when it comes to contouring? Share in the comments. :-)

  Miss B

Follow on Bloglovin

P.s. I am not saying you should use grey eyeshadow to contour your face, but if you can find a grey-toned product, like the NYX blush, it would make a difference to the overall effect and result. Think "dull brown" shade. There's also a Yardley blush with grey-tones I've seen in Clicks a couple of times, but I don't know the exact name. I'll check it out and update this post. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment