Friday 24 February 2012

Beauty Profile: Sureshnie Rider



With a simple routine of cleansing and moisturizing twice daily, Sureshnie’s only learning to take care of her skin now. “Way too late, I know, but I always thought drinking lots of water would help.” The 5FM Top 40 host and 3 Talk with Noeleen production manager exfoliates regularly and tries to use a face mask at night. Sush, and her hubby also enjoy using nose-masks and she never goes to bed unless she’s removed all her makeup. Golden rule, ladies and gents.

When she left Durban for Johannesburg, her skin took a beating and irregular working hours did not encourage her to have a strict skin care regimen. After trying numerous well-known skin care brands, Sureshnie is currently using Nivea. “Nivea seems to be the one I love. It's clean and my skin feels light and less oily.” Also, it is super accessible and doesn’t require detour stops at salons. So she is trying to stick with it for the next 6 months. Sureshnie is also trying out Clarins Cotton Seed Gentle Face Wash and says it feels like silk. She changes products every 6-8 months out of personal preference. “Products are constantly changing on the market, as well as our lifestyles, so I try to go with what my body is saying to me.” She also goes for hydrating facials and a peel once in a while when she finds the time.


“Coming from an Indian upbringing, Ayurvedic medication and treatments have been part of my life. I have used many products that had sandalwood in it, and it really soothed my skin. My family still use Ayurvedic creams to treat skin conditions etc, and where I can, I still use home remedies before turning to store or pharmacy products.”

When asked about taking old school advice, listening to old wives tales or even tips shared with her by her mom/grandmother/aunt, Sureshnie had this to say:
“Tooth paste. Tooth paste. Tooth paste! It does NOT work! I was told that you should put toothpaste on pimples. Errrr... Not to be funny, it smelt really fresh, but it did squat for any pimple. But I tried
it...several times. I also tried the cucumber slice on my eyes. It is still widely practiced in most salons. It did cool my eyelids for a bit, but then I felt like adding an olive and enjoying it while I lay there,” she said while giggling.

Her favourite skin care product? Elizabeth Arden Skin Protectant for lips. “This has been my friend for years, and I have carried that little jar in my bag to get me through late night gigs, bad and sad days and for every moment that I have smiled.”

Sureshnie’s top 5 skin care tips:
  1. Keep things natural. Try not to overload your skin with a million products, start with the basics.
  2. Drink lots of Water
  3. Avoid a product that does three in one, chances are it does nothing for you
  4. Make time for a facial
  5. Always remove make up before bed
Sureshnie says that this is the most makeup she's ever worn.
Mrs Rider likes very natural makeup and says all a girl needs is a light foundation, a little shimmer on the eyelids, liquid eyeliner, mascara and a soft lip gloss. She’s still discovering her signature makeup look, but insists on keeping it “clean”. Her focus is always on her eyes. “I never wore make up until I was in my late twenties. I grew up loving the natural feel of my skin, and I'm hoping to instill that same belief in my daughter,” said Sureshnie. “Water, healthy foods and sunscreen is all she needs.” Sureshnie’s biggest concern is skin cancer, and makes sure that her family is always stocked up on sunscreen...and more importantly USE the sunscreen on a daily basis.

Like every other girl, Sureshnie battles to answer the question “Which ONE makeup product can you not go a day without?” Her answer: “My bag full of Mac and Bobbi Brown eye-shadows”. I suppose, technically, her bag is ONE object. We’ll give it to you this time, Sush.

Sureshnie on her wedding day. She said that this was her most special day of makeup. Her hair and makeup were done by Mark and Clint. They also draped her sari. 

Miss B: What is important when getting ready to attend an event?
Sureshnie: “Your scent, your body lotion, your accessories and your hair. If you take time to pay a little attention to all it’s amazing how you begin to glow. I always turn up my music and it usually helps me pick out my best dress, and then from there, it all SOMETIMES falls into place.”

If Sush is not on air, running around at the 3 Talk studio, behind the decks at clubs or behind the wheel of a very fast car, you can find her at home (good luck getting that address) cooking up a storm...which is also a very good way of steaming your face. ;-)

Miss B



No comments:

Post a Comment