Tuesday 21 January 2014

#BeautyTipTuesday: Minimize Hair in the Shower Drain

I wanted to say this is a hair tip, but "hygiene tip" would probably be more accurate.

I have long hair, so finding at least one strand of my hair in every room is highly possible. Multiply that by a hundred (or couple of hundred) and you basically have an idea of what my shower looks like after I wash my hair. Well, what my shower looked like years ago, especially during stressful times. Past tense. And although I love cleaning, I'm so not a drain-cleaning kinda gal. Sure, I'd pull my hair out of the drain, and then cut all my nails and scrub it with a nail brush because, depending how long it's been there, you get other bits of gross stuff, too: dust, soap, crap. Eeuw.

Everyone's hair will reach the end of it's life cycle and it will come out a couple of times in our lives, but I think I've got this shower-drain business waxed.

How to minimize the amount of hair in the shower drain:
(This also applies to head hair left on your body, between your butt cheeks and between your toes when you're done washing...)

1) Brush/comb your hair BEFORE you wash it. By doing this, you're brushing out the "loose" hairs that have already detached from your papilla which supplies its nourishment. These hairs may have come out while washing/rinsing your hair. And please, clean your brushes/combs regularly.

2) When you wash your hair, do so from root to tip and when you get to the ends, grab all the unattached hairs that usually hang from the ends. Bundle 'em up and put them aside in the shower, or throw them out of the shower. Whatever works for you. I usually twirl it around my index finger and put it in the corner of the shower where the door opens. Mainly so that I don't forget to take it out, which sometimes happens anyway. Sorry, Man Person.

3) Same applies for rinsing and conditioner application, even if you apply your conditioner from mid-length. As well as for that additional rinse you do at the end before getting out of the shower. I see you.

4) When you squeeze out the water from your hair before getting out or towel-drying, DO NOT wring your hair. This can cause breakage, and who wants that? Don't pull it too hard, either. Just do that "sexy hair washing" motion that people do on ads and in the movies. Go from your forehead/hairline, as if you're gathering your hair to tie a ponytail. And squeeze your hair out in sections as you move down your "ponytail". And when you get to the ends, grab the unattached hair before it falls into the shower, and ends up in the drain.

5) Check the shower floor. It's so much better picking up hairs on the floor than digging in the drain. It's possible that one or a few hairs may have escaped you, so look down for a second and pick it up.

6) So a few hairs ended up in the drain cover/screen/strainer thingy (what is that thing called?)... It's not as much as it could've been. Take it out if you have no issues. If you're squeamish, use a tissue or toilet paper. I'll admit to have using a toothpick to lift the hairs out of the drain and then either put it in the bin or flush it down the toilet.

7) Remember to remove it from the shower, or the shower mat, or wherever you decided to put it; especially if you share a home/bathroom with others.

It sounds like a lot of effort, but if takes less than a minute in total, versus being on your hands and knees scratching in the drain. Ain't nobody got the time, surn. If you weren't clearing your hair from the shower/drain before, you'll need to clean it first. Starting to twirl and bundle up your hair now is not going to clear the crap in the drain from the last year. You may even need some drain cleaner, but you should probably get advice about that from someone else. I will not be held responsible for inappropriate drain cleaning fluids ruining your pipes and water disposal system, sorry. I don't know much about this, I have a pair of gloves, a bucket and a reasonable retching reflex on most days. I kick it old school. And I love the word 'retching'. Retching. Retch retch retch. Retch for the stars. Haha. Gross. Sorry.

Do you have any tips and tricks on how to minimize the amount of hair going into the shower drain? Please feel free to share in the comments section.



Miss B


Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Hair has different characteristics that make it resistant to breakage, which makes hair fall one of the reasons your bathroom drainage gets clogged up. These tips will surely help your readers how to unclog their drainage, and how to keep a healthy, bouncy hair. Dealing with clogged drains and hair fall over and over would only cause a major inconvenience. Prevention is still better than cure, I believe.

    Evon Brow

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, prevention is always better than cure, especially when it comes to hair breakage, but not much we can do about the natural hair fall, but clean it up. :-)

    ReplyDelete